Thursday, April 10, 2014

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

March 17, 2014
Happy St Patricks Day!! everyone in the northern hemisphere. 
This week was a very uneventful week unfortunately.
It is starting to get cold, I have returned to put on my thermals while I sleep because it is cold and we cannot use our firewood until May 1st so it will be a fun couple months before we can do that. That will probably be the last time that I will use firewood to keep myself warm!
Our Mission President is ending his mission this June when I am ending and he is working really hard on cleaning and leaving the mission home really clean and dejunking it so we spent a good bit of time on Thursday working in the mission home taking out stuff. It wasn't dirty but it just needed a good cleaning.  I found out that the mission home is like Hogwarts, we just keep making turns and there is another room and then there is like a secret passage way and all fun types of things. I think I felt the most like Harry Potter that I have felt in my life!
We have been starting to play basketball in the moning with the AP´s. It is a little discouraging that we can't get that many to go and play, but it is amazing how easy it is to get out of bed at 6:15am to go play basketball but how hard it is at 7:00 am to just do normal exercises in the house. It has been good to get back in to playing and we are trying to play 2-3 times a week for an hour.
Yesterday in church I was really disappointed in the Sacrament meeting because there was just a big lack of reverence with children going and walking on the stand without the parents doing anything, everybody leaving and entering during the whole meeting and people playing games and watching videos on their cell phones and showing up late. I was really disappointed so I went and talked to the bishop about it and he said that I could take some time in ward counsel to address the problem. I talked to everyone and they came up with the conclusion that it was the parents fault for not controlling their kids. A member, the Sunday school president  (whose kids are the worst) made comments about how the children still have their free agency and he can't tell them what they can and can't do. I raised my hand and asked him: "why cant you? You are the parent and they are the children. If you need to have them leave their cell phones at home, you can because you are the parent and they are not." I told them about my parents and how I had certain freedoms but they were with the expectations, and how things like church were never an option and now I am on the mission, and then the bishop said "in my house my children don't have agency, they do not make decisions, me and my wife make the decisions." It was such a great counsel! That guy got so burned. I am grateful for righteous parents that taught me the gospel, and had me do what I needed to do so that I can now be in the position to bless other people. I wouldn't be here without my parents.
Well I hope that everyone is having a great week!

Love, Elder Nelson