Monday, September 9, 2013

Happy Septiembre


Hey all, it is fun to hear how wet everybody has been getting, but really that is nothing compared to what I have been living in the past couple months. At least you don't have to worry about any rain boots or pants, and to dry off you don't have to get a fire started.  I am happy that you all know how I feel now getting soaked!

This week, was one of those wet weeks, with rain almost everyday, but it was a really good week. We found alot of people this week, some could be really good. That was our big goal we have been having is to find new people to be teaching.

Yesterday, we had another problem where the person assigned to give a talk fell through, so in the end both counselors ended up giving a talk (me and Elder Mcdonald) I have now come to church prepared with a talk every week and give about 2-3 talks every month. But, it is good for me, and has taught me alot about talk preperation. In a couple weeks, our branch president will be gone again so I will be presiding, giving another talk and teaching gospel doctrine. I sure am learning alot about all these things in the church.

So this past week, Chile played in a soccer match which qualified them for the world cup against venezuela and they beat them pretty bad.  It was fun because nobody wanted to answer the door that day and it was also raining. We were in the campo with our recent converts and we tried to catch a bus at 9pm.  It was very hard, one bus passed us by, and then we were scared that we wouldn't have a bus to get us home because it is about 15 km away from Los Muermos.

This week, I also had my first oppurtunity to do baptismal interviews. I did them for some sister missionaries in my district. I interviewed a young man who has 18 years and his sister who is 20 years, they both passed the interview luckily. I really didn't want to say "no" to a baptism interview but it was great and they were both ready for the baptism. They will be baptized this Saturday. It was a good experience for me to be able to do the interview.

These next weeks we´ll see how much we are able to work in September.  September 10th and 11th is the 40th anniversary of a military attack to overthrow the goverment and put in a military dictator named Pinochet, who was a bad man.  Everybody either loves or hates him, so there are supposedly going to be a bunch of riots and crimes these days. We aren't supposed to be out much in the streets. The next week is the 18 de Septiembre or the Independence Day of Chile, so i am getting ready for some empenadas, and am pretty exctied for all the activities. We don't work that much in the next week either because everyone is drunk. Just an idea of how much people drink in Los Muermos; there is absolutely nothing in the town, not even a super market, but there for some reason are two alcohol rehab centers and they have their entertainment there. haha.

Well I hope that all is well with everyone and you are enjoying a nice fall while I am hitting spring.

Love, Elder Nelson